Help Your Pet Thrive with Preventative Care
We’re often asked, “What do you do for your own pets?” So, we put together some preventative tips the doctors and team at Cypress Creek Pet Care follow to PREVENT problems in our pets and keep them healthy.
The quality of your pet’s food is important. Monitoring the amount of food to help them maintain a healthy weight even more so. Overweight pets have a higher risk of medical issues such as diabetes and arthritis. During your pet’s next exam, be sure to not only ask their current weight, but also what should your pet’s ideal weight should be?
Cats should be on almost 100% wet food. Ask about why at your next visit!
They help prevent serious diseases like leptospirosis, feline leukemia, rabies, kennel cough.
- How much is too much? At Cypress Creek, we follow the AAHA (American Animal Hospital) and AAFP (American Association of Feline Practioners) guidelines to NOT OVERVACCINATE. We also use special vaccines made just for cats.
- We worry when see pets vaccinated every year with vaccines that last as long as three years. And we worry when pets get vaccines that are not needed. Let us tailor a protocol for your pet based on his/her lifestyle.
Intestinal and external parasite prevention
We all know about fleas and ticks, and many know about heartworm disease. The doctors and staff at Cypress Creek keep their pets on year-round, monthly preventatives. Why?
- We live in Texas! We have all kinds of insects, mosquitos and more hang around year-round.
- Fleas carry just as many diseases as ticks do, but don’t get the press. Mycoplasma hemofelis, tapeworms, typhus, and cat scratch fever (Bartonellosis) may or may not sound familiar.
- There is NO treatment for cats with heartworm disease. And treating dogs for heartworm disease is expensive and the damage is irreversible.
Schedule regular physical examinations
Our pets can’t tell us when something bothers them. When they do it is vague: not eating, not moving as much. Catching problems early is always best!
- Our pets don’t live as long as we do, so every year for them is a large percentage of their lives
- As pets age, more frequent exams than yearly are recommended
- Wellness exams cover the preventative topics you and your pet need to ‘hear’
- Ask how often your pet needs a wellness exam!
How often do you brush YOUR teeth? What if you didn’t? We recommend pet’s have their teeth X-rayed and cleaned regularly.
- Removing painful, broken or infected teeth makes your pets mouth feel better
- Dogs and cats will eat BETTER with less teeth that are HEALTHY than MORE teeth that are DISEASED.
- Mouth pain, infections, and loss of teeth can be prevented with home care.
Preventative measures are your best bet to keep your pets feeling their best. Call to schedule an appointment to learn more about what you can do at home to give your furry loved ones the best quality of life you can.
“We care for your pets as if they were our own”. We really do!
We’re often asked, “What do you do for your own pets?” So, we’ve put together some tips that the doctors and team at Cypress Creek Pet Care follow to PREVENT problems in our pets and keep them healthy.
I am new to Cedar Park and needed to find a new vet for my pets, one of whom has special needs. As soon as I took the tour, I was hooked. Friendly, knowledgeable staff, and the cleanest vet clinic I've been in.-Chelaine
Loved the TLC and patience given!-Kathy
The staff and Dr.'s are always friendly and we are taken back almost as soon as we get there.-Anonymous
I have been coming to Dr. Schubert for 8 years and she has shown nothing but genuine concern and caring for my animals, through life and death. The staff is also personable and caring, always putting your pet first.-Anonymous
You definitely get the feeling as though they treat your pet as if it were their own.-Sean
We are new to having a fur companion and had lots of questions and concerns regarding our puppy. CCPC addressed the ones that we could remember along with what to expect and their recommendations. -Christel
My pets are part of my family, and Dr. Bouloy really understands. He and his staff are always caring and never too busy to make me and my furry babies feel like we are their main priority. I always leave with a comforted feeling!-Katie
We did not see a Dr...we brought our doggies for grooming and they were in need of attention! She did a GREAT job with both of them and we shall be coming on schedule now that we found her. Thank You!-Carol